Thursday, November 06, 2008

Sage and some thoughts...












Today was the first day I have ever done an official photo shoot with my daughter. I have taken hundreds of photos of her, but this is the first time we went out for the sole purpose of taking pictures. I am so accustomed to taking pictures of her at home or on an activity that this shoot was a bit foreign to both of us. I was by myself and it was a bit much to be the mom and photographer at the same time. There was no one to interact with her, and therefore, the only thing she was interested in was eating graham crackers. I think she is eating one or holding one in every. single. picture.

I thought about how you parents must feel when your children are being photographed. You desperately want them to just be themselves, the sweet beautiful children you see and interact with every day. But since children do not have their pictures taken professionally every day, it is somewhat of a different experience for them. You as a parent are stressed because there is a limited time frame with the photographer. You want it to be successful. You want pictures that capture your children at their best.

So what do we do? Strange as it may sound, I would just encourage you to relax, and let it be what it is. The more stressed you are, the more stressed your child is. You and I will work together as a team. I do not expect your children to be perfect every moment. Sometimes it is harder than other, but they will do the right thing eventually. I will do my best to involve them and encourage them. I hope that you will interact with them and have some fun with them! Sometimes the best pictures are the ones you least expect to turn out.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Does it feel like I stalk your blog? ha ha! Great advice - it's true I did feel stressed and I felt Samuel kinda had an off day, oh well. Sage look so cute in all these pics. My favorite - she is sitting down peaking around the corner.
Today I asked Samuel if he wanted to go to the park and he said "say, say" and I said "Sage?" He answered "Ya!" He loves her :)

Lane family said...

Sarah! She couldn't be any cuter if she tried! I think the pictures are amazing! Nice job!

Heide Call said...

You did a beautiful job of capturing your sweet little Sage! I hope our photographer was able to do my little boys justice. We sure wish you lived closer so we wouldn't have to worry about it!

family guest said...

Such a beautiful girl. I am proud to be her grandma. Love, Grandma Palfreyman

Megan said...

What a perfect model you have to practice with! Wow!